Saturday, October 7, 2017

Homecoming 5/6

Word Count: 383
The secret I was waiting for was finally revealed. The plot leading up to 5 and 6 made it seem as if the cafeteria food was crucial to the story line. They made it seem extremely important by continuously emphasizing how crucial it was for Walter to eat there. When they verbally confirmed the food was medicated I was not surprised but it made the story more intriguing. I was nervous when Heidi went to the dining hall with Walter but this makes sense as to why Heidi forgot things such as why she moved back in with her mom, Collin, and her previous jobs. I am surprised she did this because it seemed as if, in episode 6, she did it on purpose. I feel this way because when Collin questioned her actions, she was never flustered at the idea that the food contained medication. She must have known this prior to eating or she would have reacted much differently than she did. I think the first season ended in a very good position for listeners to want to continue listening. It ended at a point of surprise that would draw the listeners in. I know that I may want to continue this series into part 2 because I want to know where the story goes, where is Walter, how did they "lose" Walter and not know his placement, how much of the food did Heidi eat to forget that much of her life, and is there more danger down the road for Heidi as she begins to remember things? I also am curious as to who the new woman voice is of the story line. I assume it is Collins boss by her tone and anger towards him, but what is her role in the rest of the story. She must hold an important place because of when she was introduced in the story . I also am curious as to how they do not know the location of Walter. I currently am aware that the original intentions were to re-deploy him, but I wonder why this changed after the incident within the cafeteria. I feel as if he would have just forgotten it anyway so there was no difference as to whether or not they still decided to deploy him again.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you're interested in possibly listening to the rest of the podcast. I think the writers have done an excellent job of balancing suspense and mystery without descending into confusion. One thing to note about the last episode with Heidi eating in the cafeteria with Walter is the she is doing two things: (1). purposefully erasing her own memory because she feels bad about the part she's (unwittingly) played in the project, and (2). she's purposefully erasing Walter's memory and damaging him so that he won't be deployed again. Essentially, she's doing what she can to save him from going back into battle when he so clearly doesn't want to do it anymore. You raise a good question here too: is it ethical to continue to use the same people over and over in battle by effectively erasing their memories? What this has done has taken away Walter's ability to choose what he wants to do--he has no memory of the horrors of before, and will most likely go through something similar again. This would be an interesting point to discuss in class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your questions episode 5 and 6 revealed a lot more about the program itself. Im very curious to find out more about the new woman voice in the story and what her role is in relation to the program itself and colin.

    ReplyDelete